4.09.2010

What it is

Wabi-Sabi
I was first introduced to the concept of wabi-sabi in 1977 by my college boyfriend who was taking a Japanese brush painting class from Shozo Sato.  I have always been attracted to this way of understanding things, even if my western-mind understanding is imperfect. This is an interesting essay on the subject.

Perfectly imperfect. Beautifully transient/unconventional/intimate/simple. The evocation of nature. Also, it can be something so homely it turns all the way around into beauty. Here are a few images that evoke the feeling for me:





















photos from top: zoe palmer; billyblue22 at etsy; painted metal at etsy; localamishfarms.com; national geographic robert parkeharrison

1 comment:

  1. i haven't thought about wabi-sabi in a long time. thanks for the reminder.

    i took ikebana classes and was frustrated at how exact i needed the arrangement to be to feel right. my instructor told me about the wabi-sabi aesthetic and it was only then that i began to enjoy and appreciate the imperfections in my creations.

    that parkeharisson illustration is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete